At One Aldwych we are conscious of our responsibility to the environment, our employees and the local community. We have considered many aspects of our operations to ensure that we embrace sustainable tourism and reduce our carbon footprint, whilst continuing to provide the high level of service expected in a five-star hotel.
Our efforts have resulted in the hotel being awarded a Green Business Award from the European Regional Development Fund for the biggest total carbon saving in 2012, gold grading from the Green Tourism for Business Scheme in 2015, gold grading from the Green Tourism for London 2010, London Development Agency and the Luxury Eco Certification Standard (LECS) from Sustainable Travel International (STI) in association with The Leading Hotels of the World. One Aldwych is proud to be one of only six hotels to gain this independently assessed accreditation worldwide, the first in the United Kingdom.
Examples of our responsibility in action include:
- A comprehensive recycling scheme through which we recycle all paper, cardboard, glass, some plastics, cooking oil, light bulbs and batteries.
- The EVAC drainage system - a highly efficient vacuum drainage system which uses 70% less water than conventional flushing systems, for example toilets use only one litre of water per flush.
- LED lighting is used wherever possible throughout the hotel to reduce energy consumption. Examples are the majority of the exterior hotel lighting and the mood lighting for the swimming pool.
- Natural and paraben-free SLS bathroom amenities from Mitchell & Peach, with its range of hand-crafted superlative fragrance and bodycare collections using fine ingredients from its estate.
- Bio-degradable packaging for in-room amenities.
- A responsible sourcing policy in our kitchens using local, seasonal food wherever possible, with an emphasis on Fairtrade and organic produce.
- A no bleach policy - bleach is not used anywhere in One Aldwych to prevent harsh chemicals from being released into the water system. It also protects our employees' hands.
- In line with our sustainability efforts, the bed linen will be changed every second day. Of course, if guests would like it to be changed daily, or any other preference, they may let us know by calling housekeeping.
- A chlorine-free swimming pool, which uses a mineral based cleaning system.
- We support independent charities.
We're not yet perfect, but we are improving all the time and always welcome your feedback.