Afternoon tea should be at the top of everyone’s London ‘to do list’, but why follow tradition when you can delve into a world of pure imagination with our fabulous Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Afternoon Tea?
Inspired by Roald Dahl’s iconic story, our enchanting afternoon tea offers a feast of unexpected flavours to indulge your inner child. The journey begins with scrumptious savouries including our not-quite-as-it-seems salmon and beetroot macaron and juicy roast beef and horseradish slider, followed by fabulously fluffy floss and a box stacked high with wondrous cakes, mallows, scones and creams.
But just how chocolately is it, we hear you ask? Chocolate lovers will be in heaven with our delectable cacao bean financiers, blue as a blueberry chocolate tarts and mini bottles of chocolate swudge milkshake mixed by waterfall.
Wash it all down with pot after pot of the finest caramel or lemon sherbet tea or reach even higher heights with fizzy lifting Champagne or a Chocolatier cocktail.
Unlike Wonka’s closely-guarded chocolate factory secrets, we are thrilled to share the recipe to our Cacao bean financier, so you can indulge your sweet tooth at home. Here is everything you need to recreate these heavenly little bites in your kitchen.
Happy baking from Team One Aldwych!
Cacao Bean Financiers
- 150g Caster sugar
- 7g Plain flour
- 25g Cocoa powder
- 100g Ground almonds
- 5 Egg whites
- 100g Beurre noisette (brown butter)
- Edible gold spray to decorate
- Make a beurre noisette by melting the butter on a medium heat until it turns a light brown colour.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients, then fold in the egg whites.
- Add 200g of the mix to the beurre noisette to make a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Lightly grease the cacao bean moulds (or Madeleine moulds if preferred) with butter, add the mixture and cook for 20 minutes at 165 degrees.
- Leave to cool. For a golden look spray evenly with edible gold spray.