One Aldwych.... London's Environmentally Friendly Hotel.
At One Aldwych we are conscious of our responsibility to the environment, our employees and the local community. We have considered many aspects of our operations to ensure that we are embracing sustainable tourism and reducing our carbon footprint, whilst continuing to provide the high level of service expected in a five star hotel.
Our efforts have resulted in the hotel being awarded a Green Business Award from the European Regional Development Fund for the biggest total carbon saving in 2012, gold grading from the Green Tourism for London 2010, London Development Agency and the Luxury Eco Certification Standard (LECS) from Sustainable Travel International (STI) in association with The Leading Hotels of the World. One Aldwych is proud to be one of only six hotels to gain this independently assessed accreditation worldwide, the first in the United Kingdom.
Examples of our responsibility in action include:
- A comprehensive recycling scheme through which we recycle all paper, cardboard, glass, some plastics, cooking oil, light bulbs and batteries.
- The EVAC drainage system - a highly efficient vacuum drainage system which uses 80% less water than conventional flushing systems, for example toilets use only one litre of water per flush.
- LED lighting is used wherever possible throughout the hotel to reduce energy consumption. Examples are the majority of the exterior hotel lighting and the mood lighting for the swimming pool.
- Bathroom amenities from Plantation, a 100% pure and natural skin and hair care range that is free from all synthetic preservatives and parabens.
- Bio-degradable packaging for in-room amenities.
- A responsible sourcing policy in our kitchens using local, seasonal food wherever possible, with an emphasis on Fairtrade and organic produce.
- The Green Team - a group of representative employees who meet regularly to discuss environmental projects and to implement the latest initiatives.
- A no bleach policy - bleach is not used anywhere in One Aldwych to prevent harsh chemicals from being released into the water system. It also protects our employees' hands.
- A chlorine-free swimming pool, which uses a mineral based cleaning system.
- We support numerous local theatre and arts projects as well as independent charities.
- Offering guests the opportunity to make their reservation carbon neutral in partnership with The Leading Hotels of the World and Sustainable Travel International.
We're not yet perfect, but we are improving all the time and always welcome your feedback.